Show Report 2019

Eastbourne and Wealden Bonsai Club held another successful show at Herstmonceux village hall in May this year. This is the third year of the show being held at this venue. As well as the large main hall there is a smaller hall suitable for demonstrations to be held, good catering facilities with a comfortable dining space, a large entrance area and free car parking.

It was a lovely warm day and despite many people both locally and from a distance having to make a very early start we were all set up and ready for a good day, before the first visitors arrived at 10.00am. Dave Penny judged the exhibits at 9.00am and there were some faces happier than others at the results. Demonstrations by Dave Penny started at 11.00am and continued throughout the day with Paul Eslinger continuing until almost 4.00pm when the show closed. Members and visitors alike enjoyed the opportunity not only of watching an expert at work but being able to ask questions and get answers about their own trees and issues.

Club members exhibited fewer trees this year in order to make more room for invited clubs to display. We were pleased to welcome Chichester Bonsai Society, Eastleigh Bonsai Group, Middlesex Bonsai Club, Surrey Heath, Solent Bonsai Society, and Sussex Bonsai Group. Sussex Bonsai Group won the best visiting club table with Eastleigh Bonsai group a close second.

Certificates were awarded to Eastbourne and Wealden entries; for the best conifer to Gillian Canham with a Spruce; for the best deciduous to Bernie Mighall with a Maple; for the best group to Brian Dale with a Larch group; and the best in show also went to Brian Dale for a Golden Cedar. The public vote went to Colin George for a Celtis. Six highly commended certificates were also awarded.

Two members provided trade stands, which were handmade pots from Pinecone Ceramics and a selection of starter trees from Downs View Bonsai. Brenda Eslinger brought a display of her Chinese painting in the form of bookmarks and scrolls, which were available for sale.

Once the raffle was drawn all agreed that it had been a good day, despite the hard work. Stands were taken down and trees collected and members returned home beginning to think about next year’s show.